23 July 2014
AGU Science Policy Alert 14-7
Are you interested in learning more about science policy in the U.S.? Would you like to explore life in our nation’s capital? Then you’re in luck – AGU’s Public Affairs department is looking for a 2014 Fall intern! This is an invaluable opportunity to experience and learn more about the political process as it relates to the intersection of public policy and the Earth and space sciences. The Public Affairs Internship is a fantastic opportunity to become informed on science policy.
AGU’s Public Affairs team works to maintain a continuous flow of information between AGU scientists and Capitol Hill. The department advocates for Earth and space science as related policy evolves in Congress and endeavors to keep legislators informed of how AGU member scientists’ work relates to the concerns of their state.
The intern will work in the Public Affairs Department (science policy) with a primary focus of attending congressional hearings and briefings on Earth and space science topics, running the department’s social media presence, and helping plan and execute events that connect scientists and legislators. The intern will gain skills in working with policy makers; learn about current science legislation; experience being in the center of science policy progress in Washington, DC; and will be an integral part of a small and supportive team within the organization. This is a paid internship.
- Two years of coursework towards a Bachelor’s degree in Earth or space sciences
- Willingness to relocate to Washington D.C. area at your own expense
- Ability to prioritize assignments, use standard procedures and processes to make decisions, apply effective verbal, non-verbal, and written communication methods, operate standard office equipment, and work independently on various projects and/or with limited supervision is needed
- A Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. in Earth or space science
- Experience with social media, science policy, and science communication
Anticipated Start Date: 8 September 2014
Anticipated End Date: 5 December 2014
Internship Duration: 13 weeks
Application Deadline: 04 August 2014
To Apply: Please submit an application and cover letter online
Tell a friend, student, or apply yourself! To learn more and apply, please click here.