AGU will host its third member-only Congressional Visits Day (AGU CVD) on 2-3 May 2017. The event provides an opportunity for AGU members interested in science policy to share the wonder and value of Earth and space science with their legislators in Washington, D.C. The application will be open 13-27 March 2017.
AGU CVD focuses on the importance of science funding from the federal government and will have member teams representing the key states of Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, and Mississippi. These states were chosen to reach legislators who will benefit from hearing more about the value of Earth and space science in their districts.
AGU members who are selected will receive the opportunity to:
- Participate in a webinar to prepare them for the CVD.
- Attend a preparatory workshop at AGU headquarters.
- Learn about and become part of the legislative process.
- Speak directly to their elected officials and staff about scientific issues important to them and the communities they represent.
- Highlight the importance of science and advocate for funding increases for scientific research.
- Acquire tools for communicating science to policy and lay audiences.
- Network with other scientists interested in science policy.
Participants will also review preparatory materials, research legislators, prepare a fact sheet about their research, and will work closely with AGU staff before and after their meetings with legislators.
The application deadline is 27 March.
For members not affiliated with this year’s key states, or not able to participate during the 2017 AGU CVD dates, AGU has other opportunities for you to increase the visibility of Earth and space science and discuss its importance with policy makers.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and we encourage you to apply early. To expedite processing of your application, please provide detailed answers. AGU staff may contact you with questions or for a brief phone interview. Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their application no later than 14 April. If you have questions, please email email@example.com. Apply today!