Co-Chairs for the 115th Congress
Congressman Jared Polis (CO-02) and Congressman Ryan Costello (PA-06)
Background: An advanced understanding of Earth and space sciences underlie many of the decisions facing policymakers. Despite the existence of research and issues in every district and state, the Earth and space sciences are often overlooked in policy discussions. The aim of the Earth and Space Science Caucus is to increase congressional understanding of the sciences’ impact on policy and facilitate engagement with the scientists.
Statement of Purpose: To promote and broaden awareness of the societal, economic, and scientific advancements made possible by the Earth and space sciences; to illustrate the breadth of policy issues and public and private interests impacted by the Earth and space sciences; to serve as an ongoing information resource for Members of Congress and their staff; to exchange ideas and information with Earth and space scientists, federal science agencies, universities and research institutions, professional and institutional Earth and space science societies and organizations, and the Administration.
- Support federal investment in basic and applied science
- Support strong and sustained funding for the Earth and space sciences in appropriations and authorization bills
- Support more ways to move federal research opportunities in to commercialization or applications that serve societal needs
- Support the inclusion of Earth and space sciences in STEM education curriculum for primary and secondary students
- Beyer, Donald (VA-08)
- Capuano, Michael (MA-07)
- Chu, Judy (CA-27)
- Comstock, Barbara (VA -10)
- González Colón, Jennifer (Puerto Rico – At Large)
- Grijalva, Raul (AZ-03)
- Kilmer, Derek (WA-06)
- Lipinski, Daniel (IL -03)
- Lofgren, Zoe (CA-19)
- Napolitano, Grace (CA-32)
- McNerney, Jerry (CA-09)
- Perlmutter, Ed (CO – 07)
- Pocan, Mark (WI-02)
- Speier, Jackie (CA-14)
- Tipton, Scott (CO-03)
- Veasey, Marc (TX-33)
- Watson Coleman, Bonnie (NJ-12)
- The Science of Food Security (June 2018)
- Space Discovery through Cutting-Edge Technology (February 2018)
- Science Saves Congressional Briefing (September 2017)
- Science in Society – From the Lab to Your Life (June 2017)
- Earth and Space Science 101: Securing the Nation and Expanding Frontiers (February 2017)
- House Earth and Space Science Caucus Launch Reception (September 2016)
If your office is interested in joining the caucus, please contact:
John Cooper with Congressman Polis at John.Cooper@mail.house.gov or
Andrew Furman with Congressman Costello at Andrew.Furman@mail.house.gov.
For more information about the caucus, please contact Brittany Webster at email@example.com.
Supported by the Earth & Space Science Caucus Alliance.