19 June 2012
AGU Science Policy Alert 12-26
The annual AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco is coming up! We encourage you to participate and submit an abstract for one of the many science and society sessions at the meeting. The deadline for abstract submissions is 8 August at 23:59 Eastern Daylight Time.
If you are knowledgeable about the impacts your research has on society or have ever considered giving a policy-oriented talk, now is your chance. Submit an abstract for one of the many interesting science and society sessions at this year’s meeting. Already planning to submit a scientific abstract? You are allowed to submit one additional abstract to a Public Affairs (PA) or Education and Human Resources (ED) session. To find a relevant session, perform a session search for “Public Affairs”.
Please pass this information on to colleagues who may want to submit an abstract of their own.
Public Affairs Sessions:
- PA001 – Public Affairs General Contributions
- PA002 – Assessing Socioeconomic Benefits of Earth Observation Science
- PA003 – Communication of Science through Art: a Raison D’etre for Interdisciplinary Collaboration
- PA004 – Connectivity Across Watersheds and Effects on Downstream Waters
- PA005 – Countering Denial and Manufactured Doubt of 21st Century Science
- PA006 – Earth Science Applications: Tracing Their Sources and Heritage
- PA007 – Facebook, Twitter, Flickr: Science Communication Gone Social – The Social Media 101
- PA008 – Is Video Replacing Writing? The Role of Video in Effectively Communicating Science
- PA009 – Litigation Involving Climate Scientists
- PA010 – New Ideas in Geoscience and Environmental Communication
- PA011 – Policy Dimensions of Unconventional Fossil Fuel Development
- PA012 – Population 7 Billion and Growing: Water Security in a Changing Climate
- PA013 – Social Media and Blogging as a Communication Tool for Scientists
- PA014 – Strategies for Neutralizing the Negative Commercial Influence on the Discussion Around Climate Science
- PA015 – The Global Challenge of Water and Sanitation
- In addition, there are many other science and society sessions that Public Affairs is co-sponsoring. You can find them by searching with “Public Affairs” as the Co-Sponsor in the general session search.
The 2012 AGU Fall Meeting will be held at the Moscone Center in San Francisco from 3-7 December. Last year, over 20,000 researchers, students, teachers, and consultants from around the world attended the meeting to share and discuss the latest Earth and space science research. Don’t miss out!